Age play, or ageplay, is a popular form of rolepay where sexual arousal or psychological pleasure is derived from pretending to be a different age than one’s real life age. It is a common kink activity that involves consenting adults. The scene itself may be sexual or non-sexual, with at least one partner playing the role of an age anywhere from infant to elderly.
Age Play as a Kink Activity
Ageplay is popular in kink play as it offers a means to explore the power dynamics inherent to relationships determined by age differences, all in the pursuit of psychological and/or sexual enjoyment. A BDSM dynamic may incorporate ageplay elements in a scene, or it can be an ongoing part of a BDSM relationship.
Regardless of how it manifests for each unique partnership, all terms of the interactions from roleplay preferences to possible “punishments” for certain behaviors are predetermined, agreed upon, and consented to by the adults involved.
Age Play as a Fetish
An individual who responds sexually to ageplay or depends on ageplay as a part of their sexual play to reach arousal may have an ageplay fetish. A fetish is a sexual fixation on a body part, bodily fluids, inanimate objects, or specific activities, often necessary for an individual to become sexually aroused or achieve a sesne of sexual gratification.
Merely engaging in ageplay or experiencing sexual pleasure during an ageplay rolplay does not necessarily mean one has an ageplay fetish.
Age Play as a Paraphilia
Ageplay roleplaying can be a safe and healthy way to explore and enhance sexual pleasure, as well as increase intiacy between consenting partners. A kink or feitsh is only problematic when it causes distress for an individual or crosses someone’s consent boundaries. While the themes of an ageplay roleplay may mirror pedophilia or incest, it is all make believe for the sake of exploring power dynamics, played out between consenting adults who understand the terms of their play.
Examples of Ageplay
Common examples of ageplay roles and scenarios include include:
- Adult baby/Infantilism: A roleplay involving an adult pretending to be a baby. It can include wearing diapers, drinking from a bottle, or being breastfed.
- Little: A “Little” is someone who takes on the role of a young child. This can include wearing child-like clothing, enjoying activities like coloring and nap time, or playing with toys and stuffed animals.
- Middle: A “middle” is someone who takes on the role of a pre-teen or teenager. In this role, there can be more rebellion and deliberately stubbornness (i.e. “brattiness”) to force a power struggle with the dominant figure in the scene.
- Big: A “big” is the opposite of a Little of a Middle. They are in the role of the adult, providing the necessary care or “punishment” as per the terms of the roleplay.
- DDLG (Daddy Dom / Little Girl): A common Big-Little kink relationship where the dominant figure plays the paternal or parental-like role of the “daddy” and the submissive figure plays the role of a younger child. While this name suggests a gender prescription, it is not exclusive to male Big and female Little.
- School Kid / Teacher: A roleplay that explores the power dynamics between student and teacher. The pretend age discrepancy is at the discretion of the people roleplaying the scene together.